Thursday, January 27, 2011

Book 5

The Red Pony by John Steinbeck

"That was a weird book" is what I said to Hannah as I finished it. After 2 chapters, I thought it was depressing. Now I think it was just weird. Chapter 1 tells how the little boy got a horse. Chapter 2 tells how an old man came to the ranch and stole a horse (different horse). Chapter 3 tells how the boy took care of a mare until she "threw a colt". Then chapter 4 tells how grandfather came to visit. I left out a lot, so there's much you could glean. But overall I wouldn't recommend the book. It's odd, disjointed. It's 4 little stories rather than one big one. This book was on Hannah's literature list for the year.

Just talking to Katie - she had to read Old Man and the Sea which was also strange but better. But that was last year. :-)

No comments: