Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Tobacco Road Marathon

I just realized that I never posted about the marathon. First let me say that I finished in my goal time (4.5 to 5 hours) and I didn't get hurt.

I was doing very well for the first several miles, ahead of goal time (10 minute miles). I finally decided I needed to slow down at mile 8, when I was 4 minutes ahead. By 13 miles, I was right at 10 minute miles overall. I walked through all the water stops. As the miles went on, it was getting harder to convince myself to start running again. I ran the first 21 miles, further than I've made it so far in the races. I walked early at Disney, 18 miles at Shamrock. Then after 21, I would walk and run part of each mile. At 20 miles, they started to have water every mile. I would then walk anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 mile and then run the rest. At 25 miles, when I started to run again I decided to run the rest of the way.

As I came around a curve at the end, I saw John and my folks waiting for me. They had an adventure! They parked at NetApp and road a bus over to the race site. This was provided by the race. But they ended up walking almost a mile to where the finish line was. Thankfully that morning I texted John where the van was parked. John found it and the chairs in the back end. He grabbed my camera and a chair for mom.

Total time 5:54

I cooled down a bit and we headed home.

No comments: