Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Good News and Bad News

The good news is that Katie has not missed something in Saxon Algebra 1/2. The bad news is that as I was working the problems right in front of her to see what she was doing wrong she was not paying one bit of attention. My thought is that she does too much of it in her head. Most of the problems she is getting wrong are fractions. In addition and subtraction problems before they get written on her paper, she makes it so that all the denominators are the same which means she is doing lots of math in her head. A good thing yes, but mistakes are being made. Then in multiplication and division problems, she is flipping the divisors and making them all into improper fractions from mixed numbers before they appear on her paper. Again, lots of math being done in her head and not on paper. I told her to put it all on the paper - all of it! We'll see if this helps her out. I think it will. I hope it will?

No comments: